Recently, Airbnb unveiled that Kaikoura, New Zealand, Xiamen, China and Normandy, France are among the top trending destinations for travellers in 2019. You may be wondering, however, how are they planning to fulfill their wanderlust once they get there?
Here’s what’s hot for 2019, based on Airbnb Experience bookings and keyword search data*.
From meditating with animals to carb-binging, adventurers continue to seek locally-led opportunities to explore unique worlds through shared hobbies, skills or expertise.
Here are the trends predicted to be big in 2019:
Goat Yoga is out, Horse Yoga is in
Goat Yoga was all the craze in 2018, but with horse riding tripling in keyword searches heading into 2019, a new form of yoga may be here to stay.
Try one of these equine-led meditative Experiences below:
Meditation and hiking activities are among the most searched Experiences, each generating over 3x their average keyword searches in recent months.
These options will allow you to nurture your spiritual self in a natural element:
● Forest Therapy (Los Angeles)
● Transcend with Yoga at Pedra Bonita (Rio de Janeiro)
● Mountain Top Yoga & Meditation (Mosfellsdalur, Iceland)
● Forest Bathing – Mindfulness in Nature (Korora, Australia)
Nama’tastings (Wine & Yoga)
Wine tastings are among Airbnb’s fastest-growing Experiences, with some of the most popular increasing bookings by 7x in late 2018.
These wine-inspired meditative sessions may provide the perfect atmosphere for winding down:
● Yoga in an Urban Winery (San Francisco)
● Yoga & Wine in Santiago’s Mountain (Santiago, Chile)
● Yoga & dinner with 360 View of Florence (Florence, Italy)
● Sunset Rooftop Yoga @ Airpark SH (Shanghai)
Cutting carbs is so 2016…
Resolutions beware! Pizza and Pasta still lead as the most booked food Experiences among travellers. Keyword searches for the popular food group even increased by 6x recently.
For your next carb coma, feast on the following Experiences:
Love it or hate it, tie-dye is back
Don’t call it a comeback! Since doubling in keyword searches in recent months, Indigo and Tie-dye Experiences suggest the old school fade has officially gone from not to hot.
Try one of the following Experiences on for size:
In with the old (out with the new?)
With the crazy rise of historical podcasts, TV shows and documentaries in 2018, global bookings of history-based Airbnb Experiences are growing 3x faster than food and drink and are predicted to be the most booked experience category in 2019.
Take a walk down history’s lane with one of the following Experiences:
● Private Valley of the Kings & Beyond (Luxor, Egypt)
● Cemetery Exploration and Voodoo History (New Orleans)
● Sao Paulo’s Best Kept Secrets (São Paulo)
● Amsterdam’s Hidden Gems by Bike (Oud-West, Amsterdam)
*Based on internal Airbnb data for bookings and keyword searches in 2017 vs. 2018.